“But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one to each one for the profit of all: (1 Corinthians 12:7).”
What are these gifts of the Spirit?
How can you know you have particular gifts of the Spirit? Can others give us an indication of what our gift is? What does the believer do with these gifts in the church? Are some gifts more important than others? Are the gifts of healing still being accessed today by believers? These and more are questions that arise in the hearts of believers regarding the gifts of the Spirit. Simply put, the Gifts of the Spirit are divine enablement imparted in believers to carry out Christian work for the profit of all (1 Corinthians 12:7).
Each and every believer has been given by the indwelling Spirit of God, gifts of the Spirit. In Acts chapter 8 and in 1 Corinthians chapter 12-14 we see external gifts of the Holy Spirit. They were not gifts that they have been developed by human capacities, therefore the believer has absolutely no right to brag on these gifts. If we exalt in our gifts, we are taking credit for something that we have not earned ourselves. It is like taking credit for a gift you receive on your birthday. It is just that; a gift that was not yours but given to you freely and it is given apart from any inherent capabilities that you have within you.
No believer can say they have no gift of the Spirit from God. God has given all believers gift; some have several but everyone has these gifts. These gifts of the Spirit are given not for the believer but for the body of Christ. It is to make the Body complete. These gifts are intended for the church to edify it, to strengthen it, to feed it, to exhort it, to encourage it and to have the Body of Christ empowered to do the work of Christ. These gifts are always to exalt Christ, to witness of God’s power, to build up the body, and to work to enlarge the Body of Christ by sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with the lost. There are several biblical tools and surveys that believers can use to discover their own gifts of the Spirit. These are helpful applications to allow the Christian to see what the gifts are and therefore how they can best help the church. There is no believer in Christ that does not have the gift of the Spirit.
Isaiah 11:2-3 speaks of seven different Spirits or gifts: “And the Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him – The Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and fear of the Lord. He will delight in obeying the Lord. He will not judge by appearance nor make a decision based on hearsay (Called discernment).” These are important gifts and some of them are similar to but different from the gifts of the Spirit that Paul talks about in 1 Corinthians chapter twelve. There are nine gifts of the Spirit mentioned by Paul in 1 Corinthians chapter twelve.The Holy Spirit provides gifts to God's Children.. #HolySpirit #GiftsoftheSpirit Click To Tweet
The Gifts of the Holy Spirit
- Word of wisdom
- Word of knowledge
- Gifts of healing
- Working of miracles
- Discerning of spirits
- Divers or different kinds of tongues
- Interpretation of different kinds of tongues.
This is not an exhaustive list of the gifts of the Spirit, for example, some are said to have the gift of mercy which means a person is quick to forgive and not judge others who have sinned while others are not so quick to do so. God gives these gifts as He sees best and not what we think they are for. We cannot receive gifts we are not intended to receive but we can desire certain gifts, indicating that we can receive gifts of the Spirit that may fulfil the desires of our hearts while still fulfilling God’s purpose for them (v.31). Let’s examine what these gifts are and what is their intended use in the church today.
Romans chapter twelve has a similar listing of the gifts of the Spirit but 1 Corinthians chapter twelve is more comprehensive in nature. 1 Corinthians chapter twelve begins with Paul telling the Corinthian church, and for most part, all believers in the church today about these gifts.We can receive gifts that fulfil the desires of our hearts while still fulfilling God’s purpose for them. #HolySpirit #MyPurpose Click To Tweet
- The Word of Wisdom: it is listed first perhaps because it is foundational to the church. This is supernatural revelation, or insight into the divine will and purpose, showing how to solve any problem that may arise (1Kings 3:16-28; Mt. 2:20).
- The Word of knowledge: That is supernatural revelation of divine knowledge, or insight in the divine mind, will or plan; and also the plan of others that man could not know of himself (Gen.1:1-2;25)
- Discerning of Spirits: This is supernatural revelation, or insight into the realm of spirits to detect them and their plans and to read the minds of men (Mt.9:4).
- Prophecy: This is supernatural utterance in the native tongue (1 Cor.14:3). It is a miracle of divine utterance, not conceived by human thought or reasoning (Acts 3:21).
- Divers kinds of tongues: This is supernatural utterance in other languages which are not known to the speaker (Isaiah 28:11).
- Interpretation of tongues: This is supernatural ability to interpret in the native tongue what is uttered in other languages not known by one who interprets by the Spirit(1 Cor.14:5)
- Faith: Supernatural ability to believe God without doubt and unbelief (Rom. 4:17).
- Gifts of healing: This is supernatural power to heal all manner of sicknesses without human aid (Mk. 16:18).
- Working of Miracles: This is supernatural power to intervene in the ordinary course of nature and to counteract natural laws (Heb. 2:3-4).
Do you desire these gifts? Ask for the best gifts (1 Cor.12:31, 14:1).All power comes from God through His Holy Spirit. #HolySpirit #GodsPower Click To Tweet
We want to hear from you
I would love to hear how this article impacted you or any questions you have. Make sure to leave a comment below or contact us today. Thank You.
If you know someone who could use more of the peace of Christ — share this with them using the “share” button below.
Angela Lowe, MS. Ed., LPC
Angela Lowe is a licensed Professional Counselor, trained Biblical Counselor and certified Holistic Health Coach. Her kingdom mandate is to restore God’s counsel to transform lives, marriages, and churches worldwide.
Leave A Comment