How to Combat Depression
More than 14 million American adults are affected by depression each year. Common symptoms of depression can include the following:
- Drastic weight loss or weight gain
- Diminished interest in pleasurable activities
- Feelings of low self-worth
- Recurring suicidal thoughts
Anti-depressant medications and traditional mental health therapy are sometimes used to treat depression. While these treatments may be useful for a short period of time, long-term relief can be achieved through the use of effective spiritual warfare strategies with the support of a spirit-led Christian counselor.
Depression can be triggered by several situations such as these:
- Negative thoughts
- Loss of a loved one
- Loss of possessions
- Feelings of unfulfillment
- Relationship problems
- Chronic physical pain
Taking anti-depressant medications over an extended period can also exacerbate symptoms of depression. Depression is associated with hopelessness and despair, and this can affect your ability to work, function, and interact. Healthy people may feel sad or despondent when negative life situations occur. But when hopelessness dampens your spirit most of the day for more than two weeks, it may be a sign of depression.
Depression is a Spirit of Heaviness
Spiritual warfare is linked to depression symptoms in your physical well-being. For example, you may be trapped in a stronghold of lethargy if you always feel tired. Similarly, you may be caught in the self-destructive stronghold if you are experiencing suicidal thoughts. Depression often creates a feeling of heaviness which can be tied to the weight of spiritual warfare. Your willingness to apply the Word of God to your circumstance determines the extent to which these strongholds can impact your physical and spiritual life.
The Word of God provides Strategies for Opposing Depressive Spirits
Imagine you have just lost your job and you’re now feeling very low. You can learn to apply the strategies outlined in Isaiah 61:3 to your circumstance. For example, you can learn to put on a garment of praise instead of wearing a spirit of despair. Satan, the enemy, is always lurking around seeking whom he may devour. If you don’t apply the Word of God in your spiritual battles, he will quickly prey on your weakness and introduce a spiritual stronghold of despair or self-destructive thoughts.
Depression Affects Both Your Mental and Physical Health
Depression can develop serious complications that affect your mind, body, soul and spirit. You may experience a loss of appetite if you’re constantly worried about provisions. Soon, this loss of appetite will trigger a domino effect; it will cause you to lose weight and your body will become deficient in certain vitamins and minerals. As a consequence, your body might develop anemia, acid reflux, heart disease, or other complications. Depression can quickly lead to a deterioration of your physical health.
When hopeless situations cause you to be weary to the point where your mental and physical health are both at risk, try to meditate on scriptures. Jesus states in Matthew 6:34, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” Your meditation on the Word of God may not necessarily put an immediate end to your depression, but it will be a step in the right direction. To experience full recovery, it is important that you receive biblically sound counseling and warfare strategies for fighting against the spirits that influence your depression.
Key Biblical Counsel & Warfare Strategies for Your VICTORY
- Renew your mind with the Word of God. The Bible contains practical wisdom on how we can handle suffering like hopelessness and depression. The Word of God will remind you of the Lord’s good and perfect will for your life. It will reassure you of the power that you have through the Holy Spirit to conquer all of your circumstances, including the spirit of depression.
- Listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit. Your deliverance comes through him. The Holy Spirit is our Counselor, and he will guide you out of depression. Through Christian counseling, the Holy Spirit will provide you with words of healing. He’ll also provide you strategies for fighting against depression in victorious spiritual warfare. The Holy Spirit will also convict you whenever you’re getting off track.
- Rebuke the spirit of depression through prayer. For the enemy to flee, you’ll first have to submit your mind, body and spirit to the Lord in prayer by studying James 4:7. Once you’re under submission, you will better be able to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit. He will prompt you on how to be released from the strongholds that are influencing your state of depression.
- Take authority over all the other strongholds that have come upon your life along with depression. The stronghold of depression must first be bound in the spirit (see Mark 3:27.) Once bound, you can start rebuking the spirits of heaviness, sickness, sleeplessness and all the other strongholds.
- Speak the Word of God continually. The Word of God is spirit. Every time you speak the Word of God over your circumstance, you release His Spirit. Liberty can be experienced wherever the Spirit of the Lord lives. That includes liberty from carrying the heavy burden of depression (see 2 Corinthians 3:17.)
- Put on a garment of praise. Praise is a powerful weapon to fight against the feeling of depression. There is healing and deliverance in your offering of praise. Praise the Lord while you are in the process of receiving counseling and praise the Lord even after you’ve received your Victory!