Anxiety can be described as a state of apprehension or uneasiness triggered by uncertainties about future events. While only a small percentage of people are affected by anxiety disorders, common anxiety affects everyone at least once during their lifetime.
Common symptoms of anxiety include:
- Feelings of nervousness and uneasiness
- Persistent worries and fear
- Over-reaction to perceived threats
Insecurity can cause you to feel anxious in situations when your life, job, health, education or marriage is at risk. From time to time, Christians also suffer from the feeling of anxiety, even when they are doing the Lord’s work. Anxiety can be controlled in the realm of the Spirit.
Fear is the Main Driver of Anxiety
If you carefully observe the triggers for your anxiety attacks, you will see that fear is the spiritual force that is the root of them all. You will also notice the direct relationship between fear and uncertainty. You feel fearful when you are apprehensive at a job interview. Fear is the reason you’re worried about the future of your troubled marriage. It’s the reason you’re worried about your local church when it comes under new leadership. Notice it is your concern with the outcome of a future event or situation that triggers the feeling of fear, which is followed by anxiety. Where there is uncertainty, there is fear.
The Lord Has Not Given You a Spirit of Fear
Based on Paul’s message in 2 Timothy 1:7, we learn that fear is not just an inner feeling, but it is also a spirit. The spirit of fear is always trying to disturb your inner peace and spiritual confidence. Both are both vital for fighting against the spiritual forces that cause your anxiety. The use of antidepressants is recommended by doctors to treat anxiety disorders. However, until you address the spirit of fear and/or any other spiritual forces which directly impact your anxiety, you will continue to feel its effects in your body, mind, soul and spirit.
Christian counselors help you recognize the power you have through the Holy Spirit to combat the spirit of fear. Their biblically-sound counsel will re-energize your spirit to fight against fear with the use of spiritual strategies and the application of God’s Word. For example, if you repeat scriptures like John 14:1, Matthew 6:34 and 2 Timothy 1:7 whenever you experience sleeplessness, nervousness and agitation, you will soon notice some relief.
Spiritual Strongholds Can Cause Your Anxiety
In addition to the spirit of fear, the presence of spiritual strongholds can cause your body to show symptoms of anxiety. A doctor or therapist who does not have the Holy Spirit’s guidance will not realize, for example, that your restless leg syndrome is connected to a spiritual stronghold in your life. This is one of the reasons you should seek Christian counseling whenever you start showing signs of anxiety.
Your Christian counselor can help you identify and address your spiritual strongholds. From a clinical standpoint, anxiety is a normal response to stress. It can be treated with pharmaceutical products. From a biblical standpoint, anxiety is a major interruption to your inner peace. Its treatment can be found in the Word of God!
Key Biblical Counsel & Warfare Strategies for Your VICTORY
- Consult with a Christian counselor if you’re suffering from anxiety. The Holy Spirit will reveal to the counselor the spiritual forces influencing your anxiety. They will help you wage victorious war necessary for your healing.
- Follow the instructions of the Holy Spirit as he reveals them through your Christian counselor. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth. His diagnoses are infallible and his treatments are always on point.
- Use the Word of God to combat the spirit of fear even while you are in the process of receiving Christian counseling. Through the power of God’s Word, you can conquer all the spiritual strongholds that contribute to your anxiety.
- Bind up the stronghold of fear and in prayer. Since fear is at the root of your anxiety, you must bind up the spirit of fear in prayer. Prayer rids you of the symptoms that appeared when fear took hold.
- Read and meditate upon the Word of God. The Word of God will give you the strength you need to fight your spiritual battles and face your circumstance with confidence. The Word of God is a useful tool for fighting all that threatens your joy, peace, and happiness.